This is where I posted draft chapters of my book on international and comparative librarianship, International and comparative librarianship: concepts and methods for global studies, while I was writing it . The chapters were published here under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. The book has been completed. At time of writing this (May 2019) it is in press. It will be launched at the IFLA World Library and Information Congress in Athens, in August 2019. The publisher is De Gruyter-Saur, Berlin. You will be able to see (and buy!) copies at the De Gruyter-Saur stand at the Congress.
A huge amount of revision and rewriting has taken place since the draft chapters were posted here, so that they are quite out of date. Seven additional chapters were added. The publisher has asked me not to update the draft chapters posted here or to post the later chapters. I am honouring this request because the publisher need to recoup their considerable investment.
Suggestions and comments on the book will be welcomed. I can be contacted at PeterJLor(at)gmail.com, or of course via comments on my blog posts.
Draft chapters posted 2016-2017 (now superseded)
- Chapter 1 , From local to global: the expanding horizons of libraries and related information organizations (2016-06-29). This is an entirely rewritten draft of the old Chapter 1 (draft dated 2012-01-31).
- Chapter 2 , A field of study and research (2016-07-11). This is an entirely rewritten draft of the old Chapter 2 (2012-02-06),.
- Chapter 3, Conceptual exploration (version 2016-11-21). Entirely new.
- Chapter 4, Preparing for research: metatheoretical considerations (draft version 2017-01-11, extensively rewritten, replaces old Chapter 3)
- Chapter 5, Methodology in comparative studies (draft version 2017-04-03, extensively rewritten, replaces old Chapter 4)
- Chapter 6: Method: procedures, techniques, instruments (draft version 2017-05-12, extensively rewritten, replaces old Chapter 5)